Thursday 23 October 2014

Kevin Vickers: Is His Today Stranger Than Yesterday?

Ok, so terrible shooting that happened yesterday in Ottawa is one that will be remembered for a very long time in our collective thoughts. It was terrible, and I'm not really sure I have anything to add regarding the actual events of yesterday.

What I do want to speak on is today's celebration of Kevin Vickers, Sergeant-at-Arms. How strange could today be for him? Yesterday, he was forced to take another person's life. Today, he received a long standing ovation in parliament for it and is called a national hero.

Now, I am in no way saying that shooting the gunman was wrong. I don't want that to be what you read up there. Thank goodness he was there and took action. Who knows how many lives he saved by doing it, and I think the title of National Hero is well deserved and appropriate. He deserves to be commended and thanked for his work yesterday.

It's just that when I watched the video of the standing ovation in parliament, I couldn't help but wonder how a person would deal with receiving such praise for doing such a horrible (yet obviously entirely necessary) thing. Yesterday would have been surreal for Mr. Vickers, but his years of training allowed him to keep his head and do what needed to be done.

But today? Who could possible be trained to deal with his today?


No comments:

Post a Comment