Wednesday 29 October 2014

On Being Furniture

My thoughts on this started right around Thanksgiving when a bunch of family was in town. I went to my parent's house where my aunt and uncle were staying for the weekend. When I got there, my 19 (20?) year old cousin was sleeping on the couch with his feet on his mom's lap.

That's when I came to the realization that I am a part of the furniture in Archer's life. And while that sounds derogatory, I mean it in a really positive way. There is something simple and loving about it. He trusts that I am there for him as much as I trust that this chair will be here when I sit down. I am as constant as gravity. As safe as his crib.

And so, when I saw my cousin napping on my Aunt, I thought to myself, "I hope when Archer is 19 that he will nap with his feet on me."

No comments:

Post a Comment