Wednesday 22 October 2014

Mommyhood's Third Law of Emotion

Everything with motherhood seems to come in opposites. Besides all the crazy hormones working themselves out, it's easy to see why new moms can be a bit unpredictable.

Most every strong feeling I have has an equal and opposite reaction. I feel sorry for my husband some days. For instance:

  • All I want is some time to myself. But also, the thought of time to myself leaves me with a pang of emptiness that I won't be with Archer, and I suddenly don't want the 'me' time to be too long. 
  • I long for the days when going out with friends was simple and easy, but I would never want our lives to be without Archer. 
  • Every time Archer 'levels up', I am so proud of him. But also, I'm so sad that he's changing and growing so quickly. 
  • I am excited to be back at work someday where I can stretch my brain muscles again. But my heart aches a bit at not being able to be next to Archer all day long.
I could probably go on with these for a page and a half or so. There is no emotion that is clear and easily discernible. Each one is clouded by its opposite.

Why on earth is motherhood this way? I think that it's your old feelings and views of the world vs. your new ones as a mom trying to work out a new balance in your life. But the new mom perspectives don't stem from emotion, as much as from instinct. I mean, the need to not leave my baby is something more basic than an emotion; more overpowering.

So it all boils down to the fact that new moms (well, at least me, anyway) are re-calibrating their brains to the world. In modern times, how do we learn to juggle our emotions and identities when we are competing with instinct?

Everybody does, but it's a strange place to be right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment